On completion of this course participants will possess the knowledge, skills and techniques to carry out people moving and handling activities in a safe manner both for themselves and the person in accordance with good manual handling techniques.The course also trains participants in how to correctly use relevant people handling equipment.
- know how the musculoskeletal system can get injured
- be able to identify risk factors associated with people handling
- understand correct people lifting techniques
- be able to lift and move people in a safe manner
- Legislation as it relates to manual handling in the workplace
- Anatomy of the spine and muscular system
- Causes of back injuries
- Risk Assessment of manual handling tasks
- Principles of manual handling (Inanimate objects)
- Principles of safe people moving and handling
- Safe people handling techniques
- Potential harm through incorrect people lifting techniques
- People handling equipment
- Practical demonstrations: Transfer to/from a bed, slide sheets, pushing and pulling a wheelchair, banana board, use of hoist & sling.
- Practical sessions in people moving and handling