The aim of the course is to refresh learners with the practical skills, knowledge and competence to provide first aid and life-saving support in an accident situation.
- Students must demonstrate a range of competencies in order to achieve the First Aid Response standard. Upon completion of a recognised First Aid Response course the student will be able to:
- Recognise and Assess the causes and effects of sudden illness and/or injury in a pre-hospital environment and call for emergency medical services.
- React to such pre-hospital emergencies utilising PHECC Clinical Practice Guidelines.
- Respond in a safe, effective, and appropriate manner to such emergencies utilising the First Aid Response skill set and in accordance with PHECC Clinical Practice Guidelines as part of the pre-hospital continuum of care.
- Record and Report actions and interventions taken while responding to and managing such incidents and during handover to emergency medical services.
- Retain a professional and caring attitude in their performance as First Aid Responders
- Patient Assessment
- Incident Procedures
- Cardiac First Response- Community
- Common medical emergencies
- Injury management and shock
- Care of the unconscious patient
- Burns and electrical injury care
- Hypothermia and hyperthermia
- Information management
- The well-being of the First Aid Responder
All assessments are carried out in accordance with PHECC requirements.
Participants must complete and pass the following assessments
- Examination: Written or Oral Test
- Practical Test on aspects of the Programme
PHECC First Aid Responder Participants who successfully pass the Assessments will be issued with a Pre-Hospital Emergency Care Council (PHECC) First Aid Responder Certificate.
This award is the only first aid certification recognised by the Health & Safety Authority.
The Certificate is valid for two years and indefinitely on attending a two-day Refresher Course every two years.
PHECC is a statutory agency and the regulator for all pre-hospital emergency medical care in Ireland.
Note: All participant will be required to partake in practical exercises which are an essential element of the course. Some of the exercises are on the floor, simulating real life situations. We therefore ask participants to wear practical and comfortable clothing to the course.
First time refresher:
- copy of original FETAC/QQI Certificate
- letter from the training facility confirming the date of completed First Aid course
Second time refresher:
- copy original QQI/FETAC certificate
- letter or current certificate confirming date of completed refresher training