This course is aimed at anyone working in the healthcare sector including carers, home help, care assistants, nurses, healthcare workers & volunteers. On completion of this course participants will possess the knowledge, skills and techniques to carry out people moving and handling activities in a safe manner both for themselves and the person in accordance with good manual handling techniques.The course also trains participants in how to correctly use relevant people handling equipment.
The course provides participants with the knowledge, skills and techniques to carry out people moving and handling activities in a safe manner both for themselves and the person.
The course also trains participants in how to correctly use relevant people handling equipment.
- Duration: One Day
- Time: 9 am – 4.30 pm
- Know how the musculoskeletal system can get injured
- be able to identify risk factors associated with people handling
- understand correct people lifting techniques
- be able to lift and move people in a safe manner
- Legislation as it relates to manual handling in the workplace
- Anatomy of the spine and muscular system
- Causes of back injuries
- Risk Assessment of manual handling tasks
- Principles of manual handling (Inanimate objects)
- Principles of safe people moving and handling
- Safe people handling techniques
- Potential harm through incorrect people lifting techniques
- People handling equipment
- Practical demonstrations: Transfer to/from a bed, slide sheets, pushing and pulling a wheelchair, banana board, use of hoist & sling.
- Practical sessions in people moving and handling