QQI Minor Award Level 6 – Further Education & Training
Organisations are fundamentally about people working together to achieve agreed goals and objectives. Team Leaders and Supervisors therefore need to develop effective teams which are all working interdependently, with cohesion and team spirit, in order to reach the organisation’s common objectives.
The Team Leader or Supervisor’s role is to focus on day to day performance of the team and its members. The Team Leader has responsibility for allocating tasks between team members, for ensuring that individuals are supported in the performance of their job role and that output conforms to the requirements of the organisation.
The course looks at the principle theories and styles of leadership plus the role and key functions of a team leader including motivation, communication, planning, goal setting and delegation.
- 5 Days- Classroom sessions
Additional time is required for study and preparation of assessments
outside of the classroom sessions.
Participants will normally be either practicing or aspiring supervisors/team leaders. There are no formal educational requirements but learners should have some work or life experience that will enable them to benefit from the Course.
- Understand the stages of team development
- Identify different types of team and their different function.
- Identify the characteristics of an effective team
- Identify the characteristics of an effective team leader
- Distinguish between leadership and management
- Understand the principle theories of leadership
- Critically evaluate a range of leadership styles
- Be able to distinguish between organisational strategy, objectives and goals
- Understand and be able to establish SMART objectives
- Plan and communicate organisational goals in a team environment.
- Evaluate a range of motivational theories and how they impact on a team
- Develop effective communication and meeting skills
- Understand how to delegate tasks and responsibilities to the team members
- Know how to lead and monitor a team project/task
- Know how to take corrective action for the successful completion of a team project/task
- Know how to evaluate the final outcomes against organisational objectives
All assessments are carried out in accordance with QQI regulations:
Skills Demonstration: 50%
Portfolio of Work: 50%
Award & Certification:
A QQI Certificate of Achievement will be issued following validation of results by QQI and the appropriate credit under the National Framework of Qualifications will be awarded to the candidate. Credits: 15